What is Medicare Part A?
Medicare Part A is hospital insurance.
What does Medicare Part A cover?
- Hospital inpatient services
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Hospice care
- Post-inpatient home health care
More specifics on what Medicare Part A covers if you are admitted to a nursing facility or hospital:
- hospital meals
- semi-private room (or a private room if it is determined that it is medically needed)
- special care units
- x-rays, lab tests, and radiation
- nursing service
- any of the drugs or supplies from the hospital or facility
- rehabilitation therapy you had in the hospital
- recovery and operating costs
Note: all of these things are only covered for a certain amount of time
What does Medicare Part A cost?
Medicare Part A Deductibles
In 2020, the Medicare Part A deductible if admitted to a hospital is $1,408.
Medicare Part A Premiums
Typically, people do not have to pay a premium on part A, premium-free Part A. You qualify for a premium-free part A if:
- for 10 years, you or your spouse has paid medicare payroll taxes
- you or your spouse had medicare under government employment
- you get or are eligible to receive social security or railroad benefits
For the first 60 days, Part A pays all the costs of the services covered. For days 61-90 in the hospital, you will pay a set annual coinsurance amount per day. The 2020 coinsurance amount is set at $352.
If you surpass these 90 days, with Part A there is a lifetime reserve which is 60 days. These additional days also have a per day coinsurance amount. In 2020, this lifetime reserve coinsurance payment is $704 a day.
How much will I pay for Medicare Part A?
If you are 65+ with less than 40 quarters of coverage (or certain people with disabilities), in order to opt into enrolling in Medicare Part A, you will pay a monthly premium.
If you or your spouse had at least 30 quarters of coverage, you can buy Medicare Part A for a monthly premium of $252 in 2020. This is a reduced rate.
If you have less than 30 quarters of coverage, you will pay the full premium. The 2020 monthly premium rate is $458.
Am I eligible for Medicare Part A?
Do you fall under one of the following categories:
- 65+ U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident for 5 consecutive years
- receive retirement benefits
- receive disability benefits or are disabled
- have ALS
- have end-stage renal disease
If so, you are eligible for Medicare Part A.
When can I enroll for Medicare Part A?
Recent Blog Posts
Health Insurance Quotes
GET QUOTES NOW!